Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Summer Leads Us to Autumn…

 

The marking of summer’s past and autumn’s future is different for everyone. My classroom students think it is autumn as soon as they return to school. Labor Day seems to be significant for many as a time to put away summer clothes, especially the white ones. For me, summer is over when I take down my hanging planters, rake the first round of three major leaf drops, and help my husband haul in the docks placing them on the riverbank. Columbus Day weekend is the time we do these things thus autumn has arrived.

Autumn is a time that awakens my senses. Wood smoke and baked goods fill my nose with familiar smells that signify warmth and comfort.Crunching leaves under my feet and the call of the geese, landing in the bay to feed on wild rice before their long journey south, alert my ears. Trees display a palate of color rewarding my eyes each time I peer outside. The sky is the most beautiful light blue and the river complements it with a darker hue. I love autumn. It is my favorite season…until winter.

4 comments:

  1. I also love autumn although I am not looking forward to the shorter days and early sunsets.
    Juliann

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't think i appreciated autumn as much as i should until i read your description. thanks for helping me not get depressed from my inability to wear my cute, strappy sandals until april!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for helping me taste fall. I don't want to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially liked your sentence about the crunching leaves and the geese landing on the bay - a call to all of my senses - wake up, take notice, this is what fall is like in another part of the country.

    ReplyDelete